King Size vs. Queen Size Bed: What's the Difference?
Choosing the right mattress size is of immense importance. If you are trying to choose the right mattress for your bedding, it is important to know about the difference between king and a queen size bed. When you understand the difference between king size and queen size bed, it helps you design the perfect sleeping abode for yourself.
While you might have come across the popularity of queen-size beds, the king-size beds are also becoming increasingly popular amongst those who are looking for extra space and comfort. Depending on the size and functionality, you can choose the best mattress by getting insight into king-size beds vs. queen-size beds.
King Size Vs. Queen Size Bed
To understand the difference between king and queen-size beds, you should first determine the dimensions of different mattresses. It is important to note that the dimensions tend to vary from one country to another. In India, the dimensions of a king-size bed are 80 X 76 inches. On the other hand, the dimensions of a queen-size bed are 80 X 60 inches.
As there is a rapid increase in shopping and global trade, the sizes of mattresses and bedding are getting more standardized in different variants of beds -especially in terms of queen and king-size bed dimensions.
King Size Bed vs. Queen Size Bed -Which is the Right Option for You?
Both king-size and queen-size beds are great for couples and families alike. Still, if you have to choose one, here are some factors to consider:
- Sleeping Partner: Who are you sharing the bed with? Most couples are quite comfortable sharing a queen size bed. However, those who are looking for more space can think of upgrading to a king-size bed. Couples who tend to share their beds with children or pets can choose a king-size bed to ensure maximum space and movement.
- Your Weight, Size, and Sleeping Position: The physical size of you & your partner -along with the preferred sleeping position, also determines your decision of going with a king-size or a queen size bed. For instance, tall individuals might prefer buying a king-size bed having more legroom than the standard king or queen bed. On the other hand, stomach & back sleepers want more space around them in comparison to side sleepers.
- Budget: What is your overall budget for the desired mattress? King size beds will usually cost slightly more than a typical queen-size bed -due to increased dimensions. Moreover, foundations, bed frames, bedding, and other accessories can also increase the price of a bed. If you are on a tight budget, you can think of buying a queen size bed.
- Size of the Bedroom: What is the size of the bedroom in which you wish to accommodate a bed? It is useful to measure the dimensions of your bedroom before buying a bed. It is recommended to maintain a space of around 24 inches between the bed and its surroundings to make the room appear appealing and spacious. At around 16 inches more width than a queen size, a king-size bed can make a small room appear cramped and cluttered.
- Ease of Transportation: Indeed, it will be more challenging to move a king-size bed than a queen size. A queen bed can easily accommodate a truck or van. Moreover, these are easier to handle across staircases and bends in your building.
Depending on your preferences and the functionalities desired, you can make the choice between a king-size bed and a queen-size bed.